Industries & IT Park
Prior to independence the Industrial activities of Sundargarh District were confined only to Biramitrapur , the site of the limestone quarry. The establishment of the Cement factory at Rajagangpur in 1951 and the Steel Plant at Rourkela in 1955 were mainly responsible for paid industrial development in the Districts.
Sundargarh occupies a prominent position in the mineral map of the country. The important minerals occurring in the district are Iron Ore, Limestone , Manganese , Dolomite and Fire Clay . Besides , a few other minerals like Mica , Bauxite , Quartz , Lead , Copper and Zinc etc are also found.
The Following large scale Industries are established in the District of Sundargarh during the 1950’s. Rourkela takes pride in hosting many renowned Industries both at National and International level.
- M/s Hindustan Steel Limited , Rourkela which Produces Steel Plates , Steel Pipes , Steel Sheets etc. This industry is renamed as Rourkela Steel Plant .
- M/s Hindustan Steel Limited , Fertilizer Plant , Rourkela which is closed it’s operation since last few years.
- Orissa Cement Limited , Rajagangpur which is changed to OCL Limited , produces Cement and Refractories of various types.
- Indian Detonators Limited at Sonaparbat in south of Rourkela producing high quality explosives.
- Orissa Industries Limited , Lathikata which is closed and renovated as SASWAT INTERNATIONAL producing reformatories.
- ADHUNIK METALS LIMITED , Kuanmunda near Rourkela producing sponge Irons , slag irons etc.
- INDO FLOGATES LIMITED , Kalunga .
- Larsen & Turbo , Kansbahal near Rourkela .
Rourkela hosts , Odisha’s second STPI . Please visit http://www.stprkl.soft.net for more information.